NOTE: This endorsement series has concluded. If you are interested in obtaining a math endorsement in the future, let us know!
The SEDC Regional Service Center working with the districts and charter schools in the region will provide a math endorsement professional development opportunity for elementary school teachers. To ensure that qualifying teachers have an opportunity to participate, the eREACH regional interactive video conference (IVC) system will be used to deliver the courses. The instructors for each of the six required math endorsement courses will be selected from a regional pool of highly qualified teachers.
If you have any questions about this program, please email Selene Corbridge or call her at (435) 586-2865
List of classes:
- Mathematics for Elementary Teachers K-8: Numbers and Operations (3 credits)
- Mathematics for Elementary Teachers K-8: Rational Numbers and Proportional Reasoning (3 credits)
- Mathematics for Elementary Teachers K-8: Data Analysis and Problem Solving (3 credits)
- Mathematics for Elementary Teachers K-8: Geometry and Measurement (3 credits)
- Mathematics for Elementary Teachers K-8: Algebraic Reasoning (3 credits)
- Mathematics for Elementary Teachers K-8: Assessment and Intervention for Practitioners (3 credits)
Project objective and scope:
The specific objective and scope of the project is to have certified elementary school teachers complete their math endorsement. The credentials will improve their classroom pedagogy and math instruction helping improve student achievement in mathematics as shown by state-level assessments.
The first day of the first class will be as posted above and will run for 15 weeks, holding classes via IVC once a week on Monday from 3:30-6:30pm. After the first class is taught, the regional math committee will determine the order of the other classes taught. It is required that each class be between 15-30 students. If we get less than 15 teachers registered in a class, we will not offer it. If there are more than 30 teachers requesting, the regional math committee and the SEDC board will determine priority. Participating teachers will need to either purchase the Elementary and Middle School Mathematics book by John Van De Walle, or “borrow” a copy from their district office. Each district and charter will be required to provide their participating teachers the required hands on manipulatives that are used in each class.
Credit will be provided through UVU at their current credit fees. All credits will go towards the math endorsement.
Each district or charter will need to contribute a percentage for each instructor’s payment based on the number of teachers they have participating in each class. This will cost the district or charter approximately between $80 and $160 per teacher per class depending on the number in each class.
The required six classes will be offered and completed with the following timeline:
- Start date for the first class is January 2014 and will go to the middle of May. Class is full and registation is closed. Watch the SEDC homepage for a waitlist option or for any upcoming endorsement classes.
- Start date for the second class is June 2014 and will be completed in a two week period.
- Start date for the third class is September 2014 and will go to the middle of December.
- Start date for the fourth class is January 2015 and will go to the middle of May.
- Start date for the fifth class is June 2015 and will be completed in a two week period.
- Start date for the sixth class is September 2015 and will go to the middle of December.