In this online course teachers will learn about the Genius Hour method to enrich their teaching and students’ learning. The course guides participants to encourage student inquiry through using research databases in Utah’s Online Library, composing and selecting good questions/topics, teaching research skills and strategies, planning and preparing to use Genius Hour in their own class. In the end participants will create and plan a Genius Hour Unit Plan they can use with their class.
Credit: 1 USBE or 1 SUU Credit
Course Type: Online
Course Level: Beginner
Cost: Free to Utah Educators
Endorsement Category: Digital Teaching and Learning
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- Design a unit plan in which students are guided through the steps of inquiry, research, implementation, and presentation.
- Explain the Genius Hour method and how they will use it with their students.
- Demonstrate the ability to search effectively in several different online databases.
- Develop and compose questions for research.
- Connect students and classrooms by sharing and reflecting on their Genius Hour experience with their school and community.
- Research a topic through the use of materials found in Utah’s Online Library.
Design a unit plan in which students are guided through the steps of inquiry, research, implementation, and presentation